R&D Additive Manufacturing Materials Engineer
Lunar Resources, America’s leading space industrial company, is pioneering space manufacturing, off-earth resource extraction, and in-situ resource utilization. A corporate spin-off from various NASA-sponsored technology development programs, Lunar Resources objective is to enable the economic utilization of space’s resources to enable humanity to build off earth.
Embedded Systems Engineer (Space Manufacturing Technologies)
The space manufacturing team is responsible for developing a range of technologies to manufacture, fabricate and weld metals and metal oxides in microgravity and the Moon. As a responsible materials engineer on the space manufacturing team, you will work with a multidisciplinary group of engineers, material scientists, electrochemists and metallurgists to design, build, test, and fly: space additive manufacturing systems.
- Serve as a responsible engineer and take extreme ownership of the modeling, designing and testing of metal and metal oxide additive manufacturing processes.
- Perform in-depth first principles analysis and COMSOL multi-physics modeling to assess.
- Improve printed part quality via defining novel sequences\ algorithms and by process parameter manipulation.
- Drive conceptual design, design criteria definition, and component level trades.
- Drive technology improvements; work with engineers and teams across the company to ensure success of components. Innovate.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, math, engineering or scientific discipline.
- 2+ years of professional experience with additive manufacturing systems.
- Experience with electrical computer-aided design (CAD) and COMSOL Multiphysics software (COMSOL).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong first-principles engineering fundamentals.
- Expert understanding of metal and/or metal oxide additive manufacturing processes.
- Experience with one or more programming languages, preferably C.
- Basic domain knowledge including surface mount soldering, EMI protection of circuits, and control of circuits using Arduinos.
- Basic understanding of solid state power components/circuits (e.g. switched mode power supply topologies, power transformers, capacitors, MOSFET’s, thyristors) and integrated circuits.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, managers, and suppliers.
- Hands-on experience with 3D printer design/fabrication/troubleshooting.
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones.
- Excited to work in a startup company culture and atmosphere.
- This position is located at Lunar Resources' facility in Houston, TX. Remote work is NOT possible for this position.