Lunar Resources, America’s leading space industrial company, is pioneering space manufacturing, off-earth resource extraction, and in-situ resource utilization. A corporate spin-off from various NASA-sponsored technology development programs, Lunar Resources objective is to enable the economic utilization of space’s resources to enable humanity to build off earth.
Metallurgical/Materials Engineer (Resource Extraction Technologies)
The resource extraction team is responsible for developing a range of technologies to extract, refine and cast metal on the Moon. As a responsible Metallurgical/Materials Engineer on the resource extraction team, you will work with a multidisciplinary group of engineers, material scientists, electrochemists and metallurgists to design, build, test, and fly: lunar resource extraction and casting technologies.
- Collaborating with the resource extraction team on the laboratory-scale research programs as well as with the engineering team for the development activities of full-scale industrial experiments.
- Designing research towards the optimization of casting processes for extractive metallurgy on the Moon .
- Conducting experiments on high temperature casting of metals and metal oxides.
- Developing new approaches and technologies to cast metals on the Moon.
- Improvement and maintenance of the existing experimental testing setups and materials characterization equipment.
- 3+ years of experience with metallurgy or high-temperature materials engineering in a technical environment.
- MS or Ph.D. in Metallurgical/Materials Engineering from an ABET accredited University with a strong educational background in ferrous metallurgy.
- Strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work productively in a cross-functional team.
- Ability and willingness to regularly handle a diverse and dynamic set of challenges to solve critical and time-sensitive issues.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong first-principles engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with high-temperature metallurgy.
- Experience with experimental metallurgical setup.
- Materials or metallurgical research.
- Experience with high-temperature setup/system.
- Experience with thermodynamic modeling and calculations (COMSOL preferred).
- Experience in research with large data sets.
- Analysis Scripting in Matlab.
- Experience using CAD software.
- Materials characterization.
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones.
- Excited to work in a startup company culture and atmosphere.
- This position is located at Lunar Resources' facility in Houston, TX. Remote work is NOT possible for this position.