Lunar Resources, America’s leading space industrial company, is pioneering space manufacturing, off-earth resource extraction, and in-situ resource utilization. A corporate spin-off from various NASA-sponsored technology development programs, Lunar Resources objective is to enable the economic utilization of space’s resources to enable humanity to build off earth.
Welder (Space Industrial Welder)
The space manufacturing team is responsible for developing a range of technologies to manufacture, fabricate and weld metals and metal oxides in microgravity and the Moon. As a responsible materials engineer on the space manufacturing team, you will work with a multidisciplinary group of engineers, material scientists, electrochemists and metallurgists to design, build, test, and fly: space additive manufacturing systems.
- MIG welding: cut, trim, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling
- Collaborate with lead welder to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Weld assembly and fabrication of various small to large scale structures and assemblies
- Effectively communicate with management/supervisors, engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Modify repair, assemble, and install large weldments
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Install and assemble custom and off-the-shelf tooling and machinery for building additive manufacturing, metal oxide electrolysis, and deposition technologies.
- Setup of safety equipment and work platforms at elevation
- Operate general shop equipment and vehicles (forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, etc.)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience with MIG welding
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10+ years of experience with MIG welding with one or more of the following materials: stainless steel, carbon steel, Inconel, aluminum and titanium
- Highly proficient in tube cutting, grinding and fabrication
- Highly experience in Class A welds
- Certifications with AWS D17.1 and D1.2
- Experience with DC welding techniques, and engineering requirements
- Experience working with standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge in arc air procedures and equipment
- Experience operating overhead cranes and forklifts
- Experience using precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Role requires passing a weld test per AWS D17.1
- This position requires working up to 12 hours a day, 4 days and 3 days off then 3 days on and 4 days off
- Available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Ability to work multiple shifts and change shifts with minimal notice
- Ability to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 25 lbs.) unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 100 feet)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones.
- Excited to work in a startup company culture and atmosphere.
- This position is located at Lunar Resources' facility in Houston, TX. Remote work is NOT possible for this position.